Access Statement for Moddershall Oaks Country Spa Retreat – January 2018
Situated in the beautiful Staffordshire countryside Moddershall Oaks is a boutique Spa Retreat and the ideal place to visit for spa evenings, spa days and spa breaks. There are extensive leisure facilities including; outdoor spa courtyard with heated vitality pool, outdoor fire, ice bucket shower and Kelo Sauna. Indoor facilities include swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool, experience shower, steam room, reflexology foot baths, gym, 6 full service treatment rooms, spa shop outdoor tennis court and extensive formal parkland grounds and woodlands.
The property also has state of the art meeting, conference, wedding and event facilities. This is accessible at ground level and has a fully accessible toilet adjacent to the entrance complete with shower, baby changing and emergency pull cord.
The property is set in its own 73 acre miniature estate. Set on a gradient, some visitors may find the stairs in the property difficult to negotiate. There are 11 stairs from the bedrooms to the reception and 26 stairs leading from the reception to the restaurant and bar.
We have 10 luxury bedroom suites, all of which are en-suite and accessible at ground level. There is accessible parking directly opposite the bedrooms and a ramp up to the step free access. One of the bedrooms is suitable for wheelchair users and has an en-suite bathroom complete with hand rails, shower stool, higher toilet, lowered sink and an emergency pull cord.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01782 399000 or email email@example.com.
- For details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of this website under ‘Contact us’ (see header tabs). The mapping software thereon will help you plan your journey and give you directions. We recommend SAT NAV users enter postcode ST15 8WF which will direct you directly to our entrance.
- The nearest railway station is Stoke-on-Trent, which is 6.9 miles away and less than 15-minutes ride by taxi. Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance by our reservations team.
- The property is not on a bus route. The nearest bus stop is just over a mile away at Meir Heath.
- This access statement is available in larger print upon request.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is ample free car parking on site and accessible spaces are provided. The main car parks and driveways are tarmac surfaced. The access road is a gravel surface. The car parks are well lit at night and pathways have low level lighting.
- The main entrance to the property is via a step free concrete ramp.
- The entrance to our restaurant has 3 steps, although there are mobile access ramps to give access over the single stepped entrance patio doors to the bar or restaurant.
- The entrance to our bedroom suite is via step free concrete ramp.
- The entrance to our events venue is via step free pathway. The path runs across the bar and restaurant patio or around from the venue car park.
- Our staff are happy to assist you with your bags upon request.
- We recommend your heavier bags and cases are left in your car until you have checked in at reception. Please observe the car park signage asking those who are staying with us overnight to park to the left at the bottom of our main driveway and those who are with us for the day or shorter time to park to the right in front of reception. By parking to the left, you will be in front of our bedrooms and it will be far easier to move your luggage from your car to your bedroom.
- There are accessible drop off points adjacent to each of our key buildings. Please ask for information applicable to your visit before arrival in order that we can advise you accordingly.
Main Entrance / Reception / Welcome Area
- Reception is accessed directly from the car park via step free concrete ramp. There is level access throughout the reception and welcome area.
- The floor surface is tiled and vinyl.
- The areas are well lit with overhead lighting.
- There is a choice of seating in the reception area which can be used as an alternative space for check in.
- A magnifying glass is available on request.
- A familiarisation tour is given to arriving guests.
- There are 10 luxury bedroom suites all of which are en-suite. All can be configured as double or twin bed. One of these rooms is fully accessible and has bathroom without bath, with shower, shower stool, hand rails, lowered sink, higher toilet, bed settee and emergency pull cord. The room is wheelchair friendly.
- All rooms have step free access.
- Rooms are evenly lit. Overhead and wall lighting is used. There are also bedside and reading lamps to both sides of the bed.
- Each room has; doors with embossed number, lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors. There is a threshold carpet around the bed. The rest of the floor is wood. All bedding is non-feather. Widescreen LCD TV, safe, underfloor heating, ironing board and trouser press. Some rooms have bed settee for 3rd person occupancy.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- 7 rooms have an en-suite bathroom with bath (shower over) with sink and toilet, heated towel rail and underfloor heating.
- 2 rooms (master suite and deluxe suite) have separate shower and bath cubicle
- 1 room is wheelchair user accessible and friendly with emergency pull cord – grab rails both vertical and horizontal are fitted around the shower and a shower stool provided.
- All have non-slip tiles to the floor.
- All have lever taps to sink, bath and showers.
- All have good lighting with lit mirrors.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas are well lit via overhead lighting and or wall lighting.
- Floor coverings to corridors are generally carpet, although some vinyl is used.
- There are a number of stairs throughout the property, there are no stair lifts or transfer equipment. Wheelchair users and ambulant disabled may have to utilise the external pathways to move between areas of the property. Staff assistance can be provided to help move between zones upon request, although we do not provide carer services. There are 11 stairs leading from the reception floor to the bedroom zone and 21 stairs leading from the reception to the leisure areas i.e. changing rooms, pool deck and gym. There are 5 stairs leading up from the restaurant/ bar to the leisure area.
- There are 17 stairs leading up to the treatment floor from the leisure area with a landing partway after 12 stairs.
- There are no lifts on the property.
- Mobile ramps are available to access the bar/restaurant and accessible changing room – please alert staff in order that these can be made available to suit your requirements and to gain assistance and advice as to best routes to take around the property to ease access.
Public Areas – The Deli & Relaxation Lounge
- The relaxation lounge area is situated next to the reception area as is The Deli. There is no step at the doorway.
- The doorway is a wide double door.
- The room has a mixture of seating to suit most tastes.
- Lighting is via natural light with soft wall lighting.
- The nearest toilets are next to the relaxation lounge.
- Clocks are placed around the property
- Water is available in The Deli, next to the gym and on the treatment floor.
Restaurant/Dining Room, Bar & Bar area
- The restaurant and bar is situated at the lowest point on the property.
- There is a single step off the front patio into both the bar and restaurant. There is a mobile ramp available to wheelchair users.
- The bar and restaurant has level access throughout. Tables in the restaurant are reasonably spaced and comfortable seating is provided.
- There is an accessible toilet for wheelchair users, with emergency pull cord, off the bar area.
- There is a mixture of seating with sofas, soft seating, soft stools and leather chairs with coffee and bar tables.
- Both bar and restaurant provide full service to table, although drinks can be ordered from the bar.
- Menus can be requested in large print format.
- There is parking spaces dedicated for those with mobility issues – please ask for details.
- The floor is wooden in the restaurant and slate in the bar.
- Lighting tends to be natural light although subdued lighting is also provided throughout service.
- Crockery is colour contrasted with the table where possible.
- The nearest toilets are off the bar area
- Are located in the reception, treatment floor, bar and the events suite – unisex accessible toilets are provided in the bar, changing room, events venue and reception area.
- Leisure facilities comprising outdoor vitality pool, kelo sauna, relaxation lounge, ice bucket shower, swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool, reflexology foot baths, experience shower, steam room, gym, treatment rooms, salon, tennis court, woodland trail & bicycles.
- Outdoor hot tub adjacent to bedrooms for resident guests only.
- All are open 7-days a week.
Grounds and Gardens
- The property sits in 73 acres of woodlands, formal parkland grounds with lake and pasture land. The main formal parkland grounds adjacent to the bar and restaurant is mainly flat although the property, as alluded to above, does undulate quite severely. It is important to ask staff for best routes around the property if you have mobility difficulties.
- The grounds are quite beautiful and lend themselves perfectly to photography.
- It is possible to move throughout the external areas of the property without encountering steps. Although there is a step into the bar/restaurant as noted above. A tarmac path runs the length of the buildings and is suitable for wheelchair users.
- Seating is available at regular intervals throughout the grounds. And on the patio areas. Each bedroom terrace has its own table and seating.
- There is appropriate signage around the property.
- There are 6 treatment rooms at first floor level. Each has air-conditioning, dimmable lights, adjustable volume relaxation music and electric moveable treatment couches.
- Please ask your therapist to lower the couch to a suitable height for you, to ease getting on and off
- They are not usually brightly lit, but lighting can be increased by dimmer controls and overhead lighting on request. Candles are also used although these are electric simulated type to the treatment rooms.
- There is a toilet on the treatment floor for guest use.
- The flooring is vinyl.
- Treatments are conducted 7-days a week from 10am to 7.30pm.
- Should you require assistance and/or wish to make a booking please contact our reservations team on 01782 399000.
- Moddershall Oaks welcomes trained assistance dogs.
- We have evacuation procedures in place – should you require assistance someone will come to your room and help you out of the building.
- Please refer to your in room information folder for more information about the property and room service etc.
- There is free wi-fi internet access. Simply log on to ‘guest’
- The nearest accident and emergency department is at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, City General, Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 6QG, which is 8.8 miles away and takes around 14 minutes to get there.
- Moddershall Oaks has a register of trained first aiders with first aid kits around the property. There is also an AED in the gym (automated external defibrillator).
- There is a list of local attractions on our website under ‘local attractions’.
Future Plans – TBC
|Address (Inc postcode):||Moddershall, Nr Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8TG – SAT NAV Postcode – ST15 8WF|
|Hours Of Operation:||7-days a week (some closure between Christmas & New year please enquire). Front desk 7.30am to 9pm daily; Reservations 8am to 8pm Mon-Fri & 8am to 6pm Sat/Sun|
|Local Accessible Taxi:||Z CarZ – 01782 593311|